Monday, February 4, 2013

Why do i get cold chills after i smoke a cigarette? Does smoking cause a bowel movement?


Smoking causes vasoconstriction. Vasoconstriction is the narrowing (constriction) of blood vessels. When you smoke, the vessels most affected are the ones in your extremities (feet and hands). Smoking has a pretty big impact on your circulation, which is why you will hear that you should not smoke after surgeries or injuries. The lack of circulation robs the wounds of oxygen and prevents normal healing.

Since menthol causes a cool sensation, your chills will be more noticeable. Many people who are social smokers tend to get a “head rush” when they smoke since they are not as accustomed to the effects of smoking. Be aware that even social smoking can have detrimental effects on your health.

Source(s):

http://www.stop-smoking-tips.com/benefit…
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/10…


why does smoking cigarettes make you have a bowel movement?

From what I've learned, smoking is a stimulant; therefore, it stimulates everything in your body, including your intestines and bowels. I only learned this recently because I quit smoking and got terribly constipated. I've had to start taking Magnesium Oxide to make me go. I've never been so miserable before. I hope it's only temporary, because I don't want to have to take it forever. Granted, it's a mineral that's safe and that our body has and needs anyway, but to quit one thing, then to gain more issues is a mystery to me. Never should have started the first mistake, though.

I have the same problem. My GI doc is 80 yrs old. He told me in the old days before all the new meds, the protocol for people with ulcerative colotis who had been smokers before, was to tell them to smoke again. Conversely, If one had Crohns disease, smoking exaccerbated it. Clearly there is a connection. However, it is not simply nicotine. If it was, all the patches and gum I chewed would have helped. As it is, I must take miralax, metamucil, eat very carefully, get up 2 hrs early each morning and it has been 30 days. An Xray last week showed I am full of stool. There is some other explanation for this obvious connection. I have been through this 3 times now.

I am afraid that I cannot shed much light on why you can only have a bowel movement if you smoke. However, you do need to quit smoking. Additionally, you should probably be evaluated by a GI doctor to make sure that these changes in your bowel habits are not due to a serious health problem, including colorectal cancer. 

Read more: Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum - I can't poop unless I smoke a cigarrete...Help! http://ehealthforum.com/health/i-can-t-poop-unless-i-smoke-a-cigarrete-help-t188275.html#b#ixzz2JygXK3yV
Follow us: @ehealthforums on Twitter



Why does smoking cigarettes sometimes make me have bowel movements?


Very simply, the parts of your digestive system are made from muscle tissue. Food and waste moves through your digestive tract from one end to the other with a process called peristalsis, which are rhythmic contractions of the muscles that make up your stomach, esophagus, and intestine. The contractions come in a ordered pattern and move like a wave. It is strictly these muscle contractions moving things along. Most laxatives, including nicotine, are stimulants and when you take a stimulant laxative or smoke a cigarette, it stimulates more and faster muscle contractions, which means faster peristalsis, which means waste goes through your body faster and in turn you will feel the need to go to the bathroom. It is pretty much a well known fact in the medical world that smoking has this effect, Problem is you can only use it as a laxative if you don't mind cancer and COPD. Most of the time doctors are against stimulant laxatives anyway and will tell you to drink more water and eat more fiber.

Yes, as smoking activates your sympathetic nervous system and one of the effects of this is to increase bowel motility so you will feel the urge to have a movement, especially if you are new to smoking.



No comments: